Synopsis: President Obama's Top Health Care Advisor suggests a system where Representative Nancy Pelosi's constituents would be denied medical care. No, I'm not being inflammatory - this blog is sourced.
Is this YOUR vision of quality health care? Please read the entire blog.
In this blog post I will be quoting the NEW YORK TIMES (click here to read the entire article)
and the NEW YORK POST (click here to read the entire article) I wouldn't want to take anything out of context out of fear of being reported to President Obama at firstname.lastname@example.org, the contemporary version of being "denounced" to the organs of the state in Soviet Russia.
But before I explain who Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel is, I want you to read about Representative Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) and about her constituents who she wants to convert to ObamaCare. I went to the official source - http://www.house.gov/pelosi/ to get it from the horse's mouth (as it were).
Note that Representative Pelosi's constituents have chronic illness and she professes to care about it. How much does she really care? What does President Obama's Medical Care Advisor, Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel think about care for those with chronic illness?
We're back to the New York Times and New York Post articles cited above.
Who is Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel and why should you care?
He is special advisor to the US Budget Director, Peter R. Orszag. He's also the older brother of Rahm Emanuel, the White House Chief of Staff. He's a key advisor to President Obama on healthcare reform. As such, he is influencing the DIRECTION in which the President is pushing healthcare reform. You have seen the video where President Obama stresses the single-payer system (only a government system of healthcare in America) is his goal.
He's the guy President Obama looks to for solutions to healthcare problems. President Obama values his opinions and pays for his advice.
This is what Dr. Emanuel believes (refer to the NY Times Article)
- "Gradually phase out Medicare and Medicaid and 'sever the link between employment and health insurance - Employers would no longer pay for health care. The whole scheme would be financed with a value-added tax, similar to a sales tax."
- The current healthcare plan (as proposed) "would do little or nothing to reduce health care costs," and the subsidies would be, "an administrative nightmare.
Now we're moving on to the New York Post (article cited above):
- Emanuel bluntly admits that the cuts will not be pain-free. "Vague promises of savings from cutting waste, enhancing prevention and wellness, installing electronic medical records and improving quality are merely 'lipstick' cost control, more for show and public relations than for true change," he wrote last year (Health Affairs Feb. 27, 2008).
- Emanuel wants doctors to look beyond the needs of their patients and consider social justice, such as whether the money could be better spent on somebody else.
- Emanuel, however, believes that "communitarianism" should guide decisions on who gets care. He says medical care should be reserved for the non-disabled, not given to those "who are irreversibly prevented from being or becoming participating citizens . . . An obvious example is not guaranteeing health services to patients with dementia" (Hastings Center Report, Nov.-Dec. '96).
- He explicitly defends discrimination against older patients: "Unlike allocation by sex or race, allocation by age is not invidious discrimination; every person lives through different life stages rather than being a single age. Even if 25-year-olds receive priority over 65-year-olds, everyone who is 65 years now was previously 25 years" (Lancet, Jan. 31).
Representative Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) has a district with many disadvantaged elderly, many people who have been struck down by AIDS - and she firmly supports the program the President's top medical advisor suggests. Nancy, it looks like you'll need to find some new voters after the people you are "representing" are denied care and die.
I would like Rep. Pelosi or one of her people to respond to the blog (without calling me names). Please don't send the union thugs to my house to beat me or my kids up.