sunset from behind the wire

sunset from behind the wire

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Thursday Theory (from The Big Apple)

Blogging from the Road:

Thugs successfully attacked (local word is "mugged") a woman down the street from my hotel in Midtown Manhattan -- last night (cold and rainy). I commented that she should have shot the animals down where they stood. I was reminded by locals that New York is a civilized place (where only the criminals are armed).

I said, "Free people don't need to ask permission to bear arms." The New Yorkers looked as if I just landed from Mars. What sort of civilization trains people to be victims? The answer, of course, is that ours does. It's even more progressive than global warming (weather) is.

Whether conflict or old age strikes, we will leave this Earth. But it's best that you don't leave before you're ready and that when you shuffle off this mortal coil, you do it well. Living life on your own terms is important. Protecting yourself is part of living life on your own terms.

The Vikings did not hold foolish illusions. Their women were not weak. Many of them stood beside their men in the shield wall, and held their weapons in their hands, knowing that if they died valiantly they would go to Valhalla and dine in the corpse hall next to their men. They felt that if they died, it was important to do so bravely.

I feel as they did. Naturally I don't belong in New York...because it's so civilized. It's time to take my Jenny Wren tomahawk (It is legal to carry an axe around with you in NY) and go home to temps in the 90's and sunshine.


6 comments:

  1. My wife and daughter spent a week in mid town Manhattan last April (cold and wet). We enjoyed ourselves immensely, despite being surrounded by liberals who don't know enough to come in from the cold.

    Getting mugged was not on our vacation agenda, and accordingly, we didn't walk around dark alleys at night. There is a certain amount of caution that has to be taken anywhere. Having a Jenny Wren tomahawk at hand never hurts, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent a lot of time in Manhattan for work over the past years for work. Sometimes for fun. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here. All the same, prudence requires that you walk softly through life and carry a sharp tomahawk.

      Delete
  2. Not being a tomahawk king of guy, I'll stay home. I don't like letting those thugs get that close. I do have a Bowie knife that weighs as much as I do. But again, that requires closeness. I'm so happy I moved here 35 years ago. Oh, I do have an axe with a very long handle, but it's mostly for wood. I don't think it would fit under my shirt, but then I've never had a reason to try.

    Get on home you old fart. You're out of your element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're better off in the cold and distant mountains in your cabin with your wood axe.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know you could tomahawk carry in New York. Now I do. Useful knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of a place where you can't carry an axe. You can lawfully carry and axe in Russia - though many knives are unlawful to carry in Russia.

      Delete

It's virtual - it's a mirage - it's life