sunset from behind the wire

sunset from behind the wire

Friday, April 10, 2015

Q & A: Bad to the Bone

Taking a hint and the lead from fellow blogger, Juliette, I'm going to do a few interviews and will post them here. I'm not speaking to anyone who participates in my blog. Perhaps you will find it interesting. Perhaps not. I'm simply throwing spaghetti against the wall to see if it sticks. Since Jules and I move in different circles, the people I pick and their reactions to the questions asked may be different than hers. If you're interested, I'll keep doing them now and again.


Editorial Overview: I've known G. D. for many years and his picture should be in the dictionary next to the definition of "bad ass". He has been and done many things in his life from government wet work to mercenary work to membership in a notorious outlaw motorcycle gang. He's an accomplished designer, artist and engineer. We met under unusual circumstances. When we met, he'd taken the name (not G. D.) of a man whose headstone proclaimed that he was buried under that sod - but there were only weighted bags in the USGOV coffin. That particular man died in a foreign field and G. D. was there as witness to the event. He'd been buried by people that had been hunting and ultimately killed him.

Name: G. D.

Country: USA

Age and gender: 75, male

Uniformed military service: US Air Force, 6 years enlisted, (E-5) Staff Sergeant

Formal education: Mass. Institute of Technology - BA

Informal education: University of Adversity

Occupation: Engineer

Times married/current status: Once/single

Children: One boy

Do you believe in God? What is your religion?

Yes/Baptist

What is the worst thing you’ve ever done?

Killed people who were innocent of any crime except for coming after me.
Editorial caveat: The event that G. D. refers to took place in Peru in the late 1960's when he was in a place and doing things that USGOV would have denied involvement in. I have knowledge of the circumstances and while the killing may be regrettable, it could be filed under 'self defense'.
What is your greatest achievement?

Living "off the grid" for the past forty years. It might sound trivial, but in our present world, it's extremely challenging.
Editorial caveat: He has no phone, no credit cards, works for cash, pays cash, etc. He has a driver's license that comes back to an address 25 years old, and the vehicles that he drives are not registered to him. He doesn't own land, doesn't vote, etc.
Over the past 12 months, what has been your greatest challenge?

I roller skated through Death Valley (about 100 miles). I've done it every five years for the past twenty and I think that this last outing will be my very last. It's tough to do at 75.

If you could go back in time to age 20 with your current life experience, what would you do differently?:

I think that I would have been a better father to my son. 
Editorial caveat: His son is in prison, serving a long sentence.
There is a 15 year old standing in front of you. What life advice would you give him/her?

Be your own person, be true to yourself and never pass up the opportunity to help somebody in need.

When you are an elderly person, sitting in your rocking chair and you look back on your life, what do you want to have achieved?

I think that I'm there. And I think that I've done it.

What is the meaning of life?

Ask me in 25 years.


20 comments:

  1. Your circle of friends certainly covers the spectrum, LL: from Big Bang Theory weenie egg heads at Cal Tech to a bonafide stone cold killer hermit.

    I would guess anybody inbetween those extremes that tries to talk to you, you would probably tell them to take a hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WoFat fits in that circle too. Actually I have a broad spectrum of friends. I simply don't exclude fringe elements.

      Delete
    2. WoFat, I dare not give Wild Bill this questionnaire. 10 wives, most of them overlapping by two or three, children spread from hell to breakfast, hamlet pacification in Viet Nam, and extreme holy man with everything in between.

      Delete
    3. Wild Bill would not be believed by many people - even those who were in the same room with him when things started to happen. The response can be, "What was that? Who's he? That didn't happen." Or simply "SHIT!!!"

      Delete
    4. Yes, I've been there myself and even I don't believe it.

      He has re-made himself a number of times, and now he's "His Holiness".

      Delete
    5. I think that he needs to move into your guest room along with the pregnant nun and start his own snake church... Judy wouldn't mind a bit if there were poisonous reptiles slithering down the halls of your mansion. Not when compared with the luminous personage of Himself.

      Delete
    6. And that's what you think? I think I'll tell my wife about YOUR suggestion.

      Delete
    7. I would put it to her as "our" suggestion. I don't want to die alone, in the cold, painfully.

      Delete
  2. I find that tale incredibly sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He lives life on his own terms. Not happy and not sad. On his own terms.

      Delete
    2. That's great if he is good with it on his own terms.
      From your reply to LSP he sounds like an interesting character!

      Delete
    3. He's content with his life. He's had a number of loves, a vast number of adventures, and he's still charging hard. He is not a hermit at all. He simply lives off the grid in a town north of LA on the California coast where he is well regarded and some would say, loved. He doesn't drink or have vices, unless exercise is a vice. He surfs almost daily.

      Delete
  3. I like the roller skating bit. And "off grid," which appeals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a very fun guy. He designs "advanced human powered vehicles" which is a way of saying, fancy bicycles which are effortless to operate.

      Delete
  4. Not exactly the Career/Life path one would typically expect of an MIT Grad, but hey, why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need to pick our poison.

      Delete
  5. He's doing what he wants. And sounds like he's getting by fine... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he does just fine. Everyone needs to follow their own vision, not necessarily the one that society advised the to follow.

      Delete
  6. I hope he can work it out with his son before the end.
    University of Adversity.. ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spoke with him by phone today. I doubt that there will be a reconciliation.

      Delete

It's virtual - it's a mirage - it's life