sunset from behind the wire

sunset from behind the wire

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Texas Dino-sours

Dino-sour country extends southward from the Texas Hill Country to the coast. Many of the courthouses and original homes are constructed of limestone blocks that are comprised of the materials (shells, coral, etc.) that made up the floor of a Jurassic sea. Salt ocean though it was, it was often very shallow (periodic global warming no doubt caused by the portent of man, 75 million years later) and there are dino-sour footprints remaining in limestone here and there.

While in Glen Rose, the county seat of Somerville County, I looked at a large dinosaur (T-Rex style) footprint, eternally cast in limestone there in a wall next to the courthouse. An old man scrutinizing my examination, recited:  

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

9 comments:

  1. I never thought you to be a foot guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not my idea of bird hunting. I'll stick to my shotgun and leave the snicker-snack to you professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know about people... Jabberwocky, Louis Carroll. I can't quote the whole thing anymore... sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinosaur tracks look just like huge chicken tracks...

      Delete
  4. Glen Rose was notorious for its moonshine and bad outlaws. It's better now,at least on the surface, and has a kind of fame for its fossilized human footprints. Some think these are fake, others don't; they're certainly curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One day in College "Speech" (public speaking, really) class we had to read something that was handed to use out-of-the-blue with no time to pre-read it or rehearse it.

    I drew the short staw, and had to go first.

    I was handed "Jabberwocky", and almost had a stroke when I looked at it.

    Turns out everybody else had been given something equally incomprehensible to read.

    The exercise wasn't about how well you read it, but rather how well you handled it.

    Some did OK, others stumbled badly. The teacher finally explained the purpose of the exercise to us, and told there was no grade assigned to this. He just wanted to see how we reacted to something completely unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glen Rose camping is THE BEST!! I speak from experience! River wading with the dinosaurs??? My own footprints have been in those of DINOSAURS. And that's how I got where I am today. :) Don't you envy??
    Come on, Cali. It's awesome.

    P.S. There's no such thing as a damn Tumtum tree. allow me to save you that wondering. The rest of it, the rest of it is ALL TRUE. Beware.

    ReplyDelete

It's virtual - it's a mirage - it's life